There’s not a single doubt that Forskolin, also known as Forskohlii (and a member of the mint family), is the most trending topic in the weight loss industry right now!
Surprisingly, this all-natural compound has been used for centuries by our forefathers to treat various ailments including bronchitis, epilepsy, skin rashes, insomnia, and so on.
Good news: More recent studies have linked this herb to endless health benefits- particularly as an effective natural supplement for weight loss. And the researchers say that they’re yet to discover even more exciting health benefits!
In this article, you’ll discover everything you need to know about the Forskolin natural supplement – from how it works, to its unlimited health benefits, frequently asked questions, side effects, how it compared with the Garcinia Cambogia, and so much more.
An Overview of Forskolin Extract
Before we move any further, allow us to take you through a quick overview of this miraculous natural supplement:
What Exactly is Forskolin?
Forskolin comes from a plant known as Coleus. The plant belongs to the mint family and traces its roots to the subtropical regions of Asia and Africa- especially in Nepal, India, Thailand, and Uganda.
As we said earlier, the herb has a long history of use in the Ayurveda medicine as an effective treatment for many illnesses.
Similar to all the other herbs, coleus comprises of numerous active compounds. But the tuberous plant root is where Forskolin, the plant’s most potent active ingredient is extracted.
How Does it Work?
After being subjected to numerous experimental clinical researches, Forskolin has been established as a positive control that effectively increases the levels of the cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate) – an important cellular messenger compound.
What’s so special about the increased levels of cAMP?
cAMP is a vital chemical messenger that promotes proper biological feedback between cells and the hormones (plus other extracellular indicators). Thus, the main role of this supplement in your body is to activate adenylate cyclase- the specific enzyme present in mammals, and a top catalyst that transforms one enzyme into another (in this case, ATP to cAMP).
The ultimate result of the above process is that the enzymes will naturally stimulate your body metabolism, enabling it to consume its energy and eventually, the ability to burn fat.
Currently, Forskolin is the top subject of multiple ongoing studies, ranging from inhalable powders for notorious asthma and even possible use as liquid eye drops for the eye defects- glaucoma.
Is it Safe for You?
To date, NO serious issues have been associated with Forskolin. However, it’s always advisable to consult your medical care provider before taking any new supplement, exercise programs or diet.
Take note- pregnant and lactating mothers have been advised against using Forskolin supplement to prevent the development of possible complications that might negatively affect the development of the fetus.
The same case applies to children. You might argue that there is no proof of any negative effects of this supplement to kids. But bearing in mind that supplements are not prepared for young kids, it would be highly advisable to avoid using it on kids less than 18 years old.
Pros and Cons of Forskolin
Forskolin has been used as an effective treatment for a wide range of ailments in the past. Similarly, it’s being used today to treat a handful of conditions. This clearly points out to the endless benefits that come with the natural compound.
Here are the MAIN health benefits of Forskolin:
- -Starting with the most common one, Forskolin has been established as an effective fat burner- it works wonders when used as a weight loss supplement.
- -Again, Forskolin is a member of the mint family and has been used for ages to treat respiratory and heart disorders such as heart failure and asthma.
- -The efficiency of forskolin extract in curing glaucoma and asthma attacks has also been proven by some studies.
- -Some recent reports have shown that the natural supplement raises the level of testosterone hormone levels in overweight men. This helps in muscle development as well as sexual libido enhancement.
- -Did you know that most of the herbal medicines out there used to treat hypothyroidism contain Forskolin extract as one of the prominent ingredients?
- -When orally administered, this natural supplement will go a long way in enhancing your memory as well as the reasoning capacity.
- -When taken orally, it can also easily treat skin conditions e.g. psoriasis and eczema, allergies, painful menstrual periods, obesity, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), advanced cancer, urinary tract infections (UTI), insomnia and convulsions.
Additional benefits including reducing depression, clearing acne, healing of wounds and burns, improved circulation, promotes your body immune system, solves some digestion disorders, etc.
Indeed, Forskolin extract is a magical herb that comes with limitless medical benefits attached to it. Even if you’re not considering losing weight, making this supplement part of your diet will open you to a world of health benefits we’ve discussed above.
Does Forskolin Have Side Effects
- -Some people are allergic to Forskolin
- -Since it interacts with multiple medications, the natural extract should be taken cautiously, especially by those undergoing medication for heart disease, diabetes, depression, thyroid conditions, arthritis, and high blood pressure.
- -If you’re under specially selected medication for diabetes, forskolin might put you at the risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Colenol, a compound associated with the supplement stimulates the release of insulin, heightening the risk of hypoglycemia.
- -Forskolin may also put you at the risk of increased heart rate. Additionally, it may also diminish therapeutic effect of some medications used to decrease the heart rate. If you’re taking any medication to reduce the heart rate, keep off this supplement.
How Does Forskolin Work For Weight Loss?
Also read : Is It Possible To Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks?
A good natural weight loss agent should be capable of effectively burning the stored fats while inflicting no loss or disintegration of your bones masses as well as lean muscles. Sadly, all the weight loss agents have failed to achieve (save for forskolin).
Experts have shown that forskolin extract has the ability to burn fat deposits in human and animal cells accurately and safely.
Successive studies carried out by different groups give a clear explanation on how Forskolin helps you lose fats. That is, it increases levels of the cAMP compound in the human cells, stimulating an activation of the hormone-sensitive lipase in the cells. This results in a purely natural release of fats from the body fat cells which are burned down to meet all the energy needs for the body.
Is Forskolin Good for Weight Loss?
What makes Forskolin special in reducing weight is its unusual ability to establish a communication with the neurons controlling cellular acticyt via the adenylate cyclase enzyme. This translates to a rise in the cAMP compound levels that regulate the body cells.
Now, an increased level of cAMP introduces a number of health benefits to your body other than weight reduction. It helps lower the risk of blood clot in the cells, minimizes allergic reactions, and promotes the functioning of thyroids (increasing the burning of fats).
The top reason behind obesity is the decreased levels of cAMP in our body cells. Increasing the quantity of this compound in your cells helps push the adipocytes tissue release fats- hence weight loss!
Forskolin is, thus, considered the most successful weight loss agent
The position of forskolin as an excellent fat burner has been achieved after extensive studies on the same. Here are some of the studies that prove the natural extract’s powerful weight loss characteristics…
Studies Linking Forskolin to Successful Weight Loss
One such study was carried out at the Department of Health, University of Kansas in 2005. This study compiled some of the most relevant findings on this magical plant. In a nutshell, it examined the effects forskolin had on the metabolic rate, testosterone, body composition, and blood pressure in obese or overweight people.
The study involved 30 obese men. For a 12-week period, 15 of the men were fed with placebo while the rest took the forskolin diet supplement. None of these participants knew which group they belonged to prevent ay natural physiological inducement on their weight reduction results.
The weight reduction from men who took forskolin was positive and pretty encouraging. Men who took the natural extract reported significant weight loss while the mass of their body muscles remained intact (and enhanced for some). A raise in bone mass was also recorded at varying levels.
The Study Findings:
It was discovered that in the process of losing excess weight, the lean muscles can simply be protected by keeping the testosterone steroid hormone at optimum levels. Another notable outcome of this study was the ability of forskolin to increase the bone mass.
According to the findings, taking 250mg forskolin extract twice everyday helps in protecting the lean muscles while significantly increasing the bone mass as the person continues to shed body fats.
Forskolin FAQs (Questions and Answers)
1. Question: What should I look for when buying Forskolin extract?
Answer: With so many brands available today, it’s good to be keen on the contents of the forskolin you buy. Be sure to check whether the product has no artificial ingredients e.g. binders and fillers, is 100% pure, and has 20% standardized forskolin.
2. Question: What does the term 20% standardized forskolin on the product information mean?
Answer: This means that the supplement contains up to 20% ACTIVE forskolin extract.
3. Question: Who should take Forskolin?
Answer: All people considering shedding some pounds should consider using this weight loss supplement.However, if you’re under some other medication, it’s advisable to contact your physician first.
Also, if you have heart issues, bleeding issues, polycystic kidney disease, are nursing or pregnant, or any other health problems, don’t this supplement.
4. Question: How should you take Forskolin?
Answer: Some users prefer taking the full dosage all at once. However, experts advise you to space it out so that you can enjoy its benefits as an appetite suppressor.
5. Question: What’s the correct dosage of Forskolin supplement that I should take?
Answer: Always take 500mg of the natural extract each day (That is, 250mg capsule two times in a day).
6. Question: If Forskolin the best weight loss supplement for you?
Answer: Yes. If you’re desperate to lose weight, forskolin is the go-to product for you. Aside from being approved for human consumption by the government officials, it does not inflict the common side effects- such as nausea and jitters- associated with other weight loss supplements.
7. Question: Are there any extra health benefits of forskolin, other than weight loss?
Answer: Absolutely! Numerous studies have discovered that this supplement can also be used to lower the risk of an asthma attack and even help those with glaucoma. In fact, the list of health benefits linked to Forskolin is endless.
8. Question: How long does it take for me to see positive results?
Answer: Ideally, the results should show from one week to a month after taking this supplement. However, it’s good to note that the results vary from one individual to another (for some, they show up soon while in other it may take longer).
9. Question: Are all Forskolin supplements effective?
Answer: No. Like any other product out there, there are genuine forskolin supplements as well fake ones. That’s why you’re advised to be careful which brand you buy from.
10. Question: For how long should I take the forskolin supplement?
Answer: You can stop taking the supplement as soon as you reach your weight loss goals. However, if you can also include it in your dietary routine since no side effects have been attributed to long-term consumption of the extract.
Forskolin Side Effects (Based on Forskolin Studies)
Before we look into the possible side effects of Forskolin, note that these effects can vary from one supplement to another. Why?Different brands have different ways of manufacturing the supplement. They use unique formulas; some add other ingredients, additives, fillers, etc- all of which may have varying side effects on your body.
Forskolin, on its own, has the following side effects:
- -Low blood pressure. This is particularly true if you take it through the IV for infection. Thus, you’ll not experience such a side effect with over the counter product.
- -Throat irritation when inhaling the extract.
- -stinging is also possible with the eye drop form of this extract.
- -Suppressed CNS (central nervous system) – mice fed with large doses of this extract suffered depression. However, these doses can be easily avoided in the supplement forms and are yet to be seen in humans.
- -Perennial itching- studies conducted on the lab mice also indicated that large doses lead to anal itching. Again, this is yet to be found in similar human studies.
Forskolin vs. Garcinia Cambogia
The battle has been on for some time. Many people try to compare these two natural supplements for weight loss. Both are believed to be powerful. This can be backed up by the fact that the two supplements have helped thousands achieve their weight loss dreams.So, which one is more superior to the other?Let’s do a quick comparison.
Forskolin Supplement – according to the many reviews from many users of this supplement, it enables one to lose a high percentage of body weight, and in a short period of time. There’s, therefore, no doubt that this supplement will help you shed as many calories as you wish. What’s more, there are additional health benefits that come with taking this supplement.
Garcinia Cambogia – like forskolin, users who have taken this supplement have shown great, positive results in just a short time. Those who take Garcinia also reports experiencing fewer food cravings. Garcinia is usually on a daily basis, for a period of 12 weeks.
Results: there’s no winner for weight loss supplement between these two natural weight loss supplements. But clearly, Forskolin users enjoy more benefits over the Garcinia Cambogia users.
Some of the additional benefits for those taking Forskolin extract are:
- -forskolin comes with additional health benefits while Garcinia Cambogia only focuses on weight loss.
- -The side effects reported for forskolin are less compared to those of Garcinia Cambogia.
- -You can take Forskolin for an extended period (even forever). As for Garcinia Cambogia, you can only take it for 12 weeks.
Conclusion and Recommendation:
The Forskolin topic is deep and can take us months of writing. Luckily, we’ve been able to condense the entire topic into an all-inclusive expert guide above that helps you learn everything you need to know about this miraculous plant.
We highly recommend you to try forskolin for weight loss today. From our guide above, you’ve clearly seen that you can easily shed body fats using forskolin. Its efficiency in weight loss has been supported by numerous studies which have produced positive and highly encouraging results. Aside from helping you lose weight, this supplement introduces numerous positive health benefits to your body. More benefits are yet to be discovered from the plant. As the researchers say, we’ve just began tapping into the unending benefits of this wonder plant.
But for you to experience the full benefits of this natural supplement, we highly advise you to use it alongside a balanced diet and weight loss exercises.Don’t use this supplement if you’re pregnant lactating, have bleeding disorders, heart problems, and the polycystic kidney disease. Always consult your physician before using the supplement.